Thursday 24 April 2014

The End of the Road, The Last Straw, A Broken Man

Dear Journal,

So, Israel's bike pulled up to me on the side of the road and I'm not going to lie, between the letter I just wrote, the hamburger running down my face, and the shitty way I was feeling...I couldn't keep it together.

So, I broke down into a dribble of sadness and tears.

It was not pretty. I don't really want to talk about it.

Thankfully he didn't comment and simply asked where I wanted to go. I said I wanted to go get the journal after all this and call it a day.

I thought that'd be easy...But man...It sucked.

I got to her home...It was covered in police tape still, the windows were broken and boarded up, and it had been left alone. It was a sad sight, but the worst of it was, I couldn't even think about entering the place.

I had done that.

I had made this house in the sorry state it was in, and then the apparition appeared.

It was a boy, about my age, tall, not unattractive, but most definitely transparent...

I was about to freak the fuck out when I realized that I still needed to do what I came to do.

So, I sucked it up, and went inside. It was dark, scary, and was completely empty of life...I made my way up the steps with no problem and got to her room...Her memories of the place helping me get there no problem.

I found the journals, and grabbed them both, slipping the note into Robin's journal and taking it with me...Then I felt a presence behind me...So I looked around...Scared, tired, and really hurting...

I realized this must be the presence that stopped me, but I then corrected myself, Robin's memory of this place fueling the next assumption. It was her dead brother.

Whose name I forgot entirely...Which cost me a bloody nose and a trip down the stairs.

How to add insult to injury.

Then some dude in white linen's appeared at the door...I considered that it might be the cops for a moment, but it turned out it was someones servant telling me that there was a phone call for me....

I took the call and my blood ran cold as the voice spoke my name.

It was Robin's mother.

She wasn't dead.

She had been brought back and she wanted to work with me to make sure Robin was happy again...But, she said she needed my help for that...

It was a tense moment. I went through her deal in my head and I'm not going to lie, it was incredibly tempting.

Work with the woman I "killed", in order to get back into Robin's good books, she gets a powerful psychic ally/servant, and I get to be a part of making Robin's life a little bit easier...

If I believed a word of it.

But...As much as I wanted to, as much as it made sense. I couldn't bring myself to do it...I had made deals with powerful supernatural entities in the past, and it had always turned out bad in the end...

I had lost everything because of Samael, and getting rid of him literally ruined my life.

This new lease on my life, on my freedom, on my own powers...That was something I wasn't about to give up to be some pawn in someone else's game.

I told her that as tempting as it was, "I had been a servant to other creatures before, and as much I wanted to believe her, that I couldn't do something like that to Robin, and rides with middle aged women never turned out well for me anyway..."

She would have to find someone else to help convince Robin that mommy's back for good.

Disappointingly, she told me that she was sorry we couldn't work together, but if I changed my mind, I had her number. I took it, refused her ride home and started my long limping walk to the subway and my apartment. Bloody but proud of myself.

Until I saw Leanne and Robin come out from behind the corner of the street.

I was carrying both Robin's and my Journals, I was beat up, bloody, and had no where to run...

Today was not really going my way.

-V

No comments:

Post a Comment